THE IMPORTANCE OF WRITING A TESTAMENT
Allah says in the Noble Qurâ€™an: O mankind! Be afraid of your Lord (by keeping your duty to him and avoiding all evil), and fear a Day when no father can avail aught for his son, nor a son avail aught for his father. Verily, the promise of Allah is true, let not then this (worldly) present life deceiver (satan) deceive you about Allah. Verily, Allah with him (Alone) is the knowledge of the Hour, He sends down the rain, and knows that which is in the wombs. No person knows what he will earn tomorrow, and no person knows in what land he will die. Verily, Allah is All-Knower, All-Aware (of things) sura 31-verse 33, 34.
This is a call of Allah onto the whole of mankind, informing them about the promise of Allah, which is going to come. Allahâ€™s promise here is about the certainty of death.
When we those alive perform the funeral of the dead, we have to ask ourselves: When will it be our turn? For Allah has already told us of the certainty of death. This calls on us to always be prepared. The Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) says, in the hadith of Abu Huraira- who quoted the prophet as saying: -Hurry in performing seven types of deeds. 1.Are you waiting until poverty afflicts you? 2. Or wealth to mislead you? 3. Or sickness to harm you? 4. Or old age to destroy you? 5.Or death that is in the waiting?6. Or the imposter (the Dajjaal)? then the hidden evil is in waiting. 7. Or the end of time? then the end of time is very close.
This means that the human being should take advantage of his present condition in obeying Allah before it gets too late. For example, while he is healthy, he should spend time in worshipping Allah before he may get sick and lose his capacity to worship his Lord.
One of the very important things that a Muslim should do while in sound health is the writing of his Testament and making a Will. For Muslims living in foreign countries or married to a partner of different faith, writing a Testament and Will at a healthy and convenient time is even more significant. Or when the Muslim even married to a fellow Muslim, but whose relatives are not Muslims. In such a situation, when the Muslim dies, he may end up being burried as a Christian because his partner who is alive at the time of his death is a Christian, or his own relatives are non-Muslims.
His wealth is also shared contrary to the Islamic stipulations. All these occur because of the absence of a Will or Testament. The Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be onto him) says, quoted by Ibn. Umar (Radiya llahu anhu) It is not right for the Muslim to have a thrust on him, and he will sleep for two days, unless his will is written. and preserved with him. An example of a Testament is written as follows-
THE MUSLIM TESTAMENT
BIMILLAHIR RAHMAANIR RAHEEM.
All praise is due to Allah the exalted. Prayers and peace be onto the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be onto him), And I bear witness that there is no god except Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be onto him) is the servant and messenger of Allah. Allah says in the Al Qur`an-Everyone shall taste death. And only on the day of resurrection shall you be paid your wages in full. And whoever is removed away from the fire and admitted to paradise, he indeed is successful. The life of this world is only enjoyment of deception (a deceiving thing) sura 3-verse 185. And the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be onto him) says-Increase your remembrance of death.
1. O My family, brothers and sisters, If I happen to be sick, try to seek a means of recovering for me. And do not prevent me from treatment. And do not be disturbed with my sickness. Because just some few moments ago I was strong and healthy like you. And who ever visits me should not prolong his stay. That is according to the Sunna. The Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be onto him) says- If a person visits the sick, He is called from above (in the heavens) that, you have done a good thing, and you have drawn closer to paradise. And do not speak, unless good words. Because the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah says: If you visit the sick or the dead, do not say unless good words. Because what ever you say the Angels respond Ameen.
2. If I happen to be in the state of death, remind me to say Laa Ilaaha Illallah. Because the one whose last words in this world is Laa Ilaaha Illallah, will enter paradise.
3. If I die, close my eyes (Because when the soul leaves the body, the eyes traces it) then turn my face towards the direction of Qibla (facing the Ka`aba). And cover me with a cloth.
4. Do not allow my body to be operated, but bury me in full. And without delay.
5. Do not allow a woman in her menstrual period, or a person who is Junub (impurity due to sexual intercourse without washing the body), to come in. This is because of the presence of Angels.
6. Allah says in Al Qurâ€™an-But give glad tidings to the patient Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: “Truly! To Allah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return. sura 1- verse 155, 156. So exercise patience, and be content with the decree of Allah.
7. Abstain from wailing, moaning, and shouting. And rather say-To Allah we belong, and to Him we shall return, O Allah! Reward me in my calamity, and reward me with what is better than what I use to have.
8. Inform my close relatives, and the closest ISLAMIC CENTER about my death. And also, inform my neighbors and brothers who use to pray with me in the same mosque and other Muslims.
9. Let the Muslim brother who is good at washing the dead, to wash me
10. Use three white pieces of cloth (Shroud) to wrap me. (Without shirt or turban).
11. Group as much Muslims you can within the faithful, to pray on my body
12. Hurry with my body for burial and and bury me in a Muslim Graveyard.When you lower me in my grave say- Bismillah, Wa Alaa millati Rasoulu llah. (meaning, By the name of Allah, and on the way of the Messenger of Allah). And pray to Allah to bless me with what I will answer the Angels.
13. And know that when the human being dies, every deed of his comes to an end, except three things. 1) To leave a charity that will benefit people after your death (like building a well, orphanage, etc) 2) To teach knowledge that will guide people after you, 3. Or to leave a good child who will pray for you. So keep remembering me in your prayers, and give charity in my favor.
14. And desist from celebrating the forty days, one year, etc. because that is not within the practice of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be onto him).